Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Mistaken Identity

Well, I figured it was time to let hubby off the hook. He is no longer a big, dumb jerk, but he is still a man, so he could have a relapse at any given moment (hey, my PMS is only 2 weeks away).

As for what he did (I had several inquiries), let's just say it was basically a case of him getting a little too big for his britches and forgetting who he married. It took a couple of days of me altering his britches, but I think they are fitting him again just fine now.

Which brings me to my subject for today's post--strong women.

Now, I'm not talking about women who can bench press a horse. I'm talking about women who have strong spirits and are strong willed. Women who know who they are and know they deserve respect. They are women who are smart, proud and confident, and rarely take crap from anyone.

You want to know how to tell if you are a strong woman? Just count how many times you've been called a bitch or at least been told you were acting like a bitch or being difficult and that will give you a clue.

It just so happens that I am one of those strong women and I must say, I am damn proud of it. One thing I am not, however, is a bitch. A bitch is a woman who is overall unhappy and unloving and goes out of her way to make everyone as miserable as herself. That is not me.

That does not mean that I am never unhappy or unloving. I am on occasion. Who the hell isn't? But I am never miserable. Overall, I love my life and I love who I am. During the times when I am unhappy or being unloving, it is usually for one of two reasons--someone has overstepped my boundaries or my crazy hormones are out of whack and I am PMSing.

What I find interesting, however, is just how quickly the man of a strong woman can categorize her as a bitch. Isn't it usually that strong side of her personality that attracted him in the first place? In the beginning, he sees her as sassy and feisty and he just has to have her, no other woman will do. But somewhere along the line, things change and he starts to see her in a very different light.

But the truth of the matter is that she is really no different than she was when he met her. The only thing that changed was the way he thinks about her. Perhaps he needs to be reminded that he chose his strong woman for a reason. Something inside him wanted her and needed her. He should not expect her to be anything but strong...even when he gets out of line.

Yes, when a strong woman fights, she fights strong. When she hurts, she hurts strong. But the most important thing a man of a strong woman needs to remember is that she also loves, and when does, she loves strong.

So here's to all you strong women out there. Be proud, be strong, and don't ever let your man mistake you for anything else.

Photobucket

15 comments:

ethelmaepotter! said...

Well, the only time I've ever been called a bitch (to my knowledge) is when two guys purposely bumped into me on a corner on Beale Street in Memphis, then laughed and told me to "Watch out, BITCH!"
I hate Beale Street.
However, my husband was totally unprepared for the strong woman I am today. Through the efforts of my best friend, I have slowly evolved from a doormat to a strong woman, and dear hubby is somewhat confused and upset by the current state of my being. He still makes valiant attempts at CONTROL, but the new strong me RESISTS, and this he does not like. Not one little bit. Just yesterday, I was making plans with my sister for vacation next year, when he said, "No we're not going there...blah, blah, blah..." I ended up telling him I was going, but he could go wherever he wanted, and I would be glad to tell him where I'd like for him to go. Guess what? He decided he'd go with me and dear Sis.
And, sorry, but my husband is STILL a big dumb jerk.

Daffy said...

Fantastic post! So darling of you to write about me. I am most positive that I fall into your Strong Women category. Thank you for pointing out the positives and definitives. I too love my life and enjoy sharing happiness with those around me.

MUAH! You Rock

adrienzgirl said...

Silly Daffy thought you were posting about her. I KNOW you were talking about moi!

Are you a Taurus? Stubborn, strong willed...loves deeply, feels deeply..

That is me sistah! To a tee!!

kys said...

I'm pretty sassy and fiesty. I wouldn't call myself strong though. Or a bitch.

A Real Housewife said...

Well said.

Christina said...

Well, I am strong. And I am LOUD. People keep telling me that. I don't do it on purpose and I am often not aware of it. Sometimes it's embarrassing but mostly I find everybody's just being a wuss and they are just not used to a vocal woman. So it does make me a bit proud, too. It's almost like my secret weapon or talent.

Noone's called me a bitch yet - that's just not cool.

Aunt Juicebox said...

My own mother thinks I'm a bitch. However, my sweet dear husband knows better. rofl ;)

Frugal Vicki said...

AMEN GIRL! you are speaking my language. As a matter of fact, my husband said when he first met me he thought I was intimidating (hee hee, let me share a small secret with you, I am only five feet tall-so it wasn't my stature by any means!)

Moooooog35 said...

You women need to start giving us laminated sheets with all this info on it right when we start dating.

"Strong Woman = not bitch" would have been nice to know at the time.

Martinis or Diaper Genies? said...

i am strong! but also kind of a bitch.

ps I hope I'm not the first to tell you to never mix up your tampons and chocolate.

Happy Hour...Somewhere said...

*sigh* I wish I was a strong woman. Your hubby, thank heavens, eventually will remember why he fell in love with you...he can be pretty smart sometimes. You are definitely a fun-loving, generous, STRONG woman.

As my daughter will tell anyone who will listen, I am a VERY non-confrontational person. I am immensely capable but sometimes I feel as if I have WELCOME stamped on me somewhere. Also, the older I get, the more I realize just how odd I am~! But I am beginning to like that more and more.

I am going to have Teddy Bear read this post...maybe even get her to post a comment!

Frugal Vicki said...

I hope you had a fun night last night! I left you little post-Halloween treats on my blog.

Tatyana Vinogradsky said...

Hells yes! Thank you! I'm not a bitch because I stand up for myself (strongly) or because I let my emotions show (always) or because I never hide what I'm feeling! And you're totally right! We DO love strong! I wish my B would see that too- he constantly calls me a bitch (or he thinks it) when he's not stronger than me in an argument. He picked me!

O, Christina, we're like too peas in a pod- don't know how many people have told me I'm too loud. Can't count the times. BUT, they should have figured- I mean, I do have an acting degree. My parents used to say (and still sometimes do): "you'd be perfect if we could just cut your tongue out!" Thanks mom.

prashant said...

I was intimidating let me share a small secret with you, I am only five feet tall-so it wasn't my stature by any means!)


Work from home India

Meredith said...

I am just a random stalker.. lol. Well, I guess I am not a stalker since I JUST found your blog. But this post will keep me coming back for me. Can I post this on my own blog? I promise to give you all rights and kudos and will link your blog to it!
LOL... seriously.

Hi, my name is Meredith and I am called a bitch, often.