Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Bloggy Little Secrets

So, there I was, out with a group of friends at a local winery, sipping my sample of wine, when my friend’s brother says, “Hey, I read your blog. It’s really funny!” It was then that I feel my husband looking at me through his black sunglasses and hear his unspoken questions, “What? Blog? What is this guy talking about?”

GULP! GULP! GULP! goes down the wine.

Yes, when I started my blog, I inadvertently forgot...okay, FAILED to tell my husband. Why you ask? Well, there was really no specific reason. Just my own stupid fears about what he might think. I meant to tell him...eventually. There just seemed to never be a good time. Every time I found myself with an opportunity, I would run the dialogue through my head and it always sounded...well, STUPID. So I said nothing and my secret continued on month after month, until that day at the winery, when my friend’s BROTHER (I won’t mention his name, although it starts with a “K” and rhymes with “Kyle”) spilled the beans!

Well, to say the least, my hubbie was not happy. He didn’t even want to talk about it. He even told me he was NEVER going to read my blog because I did not tell him about it. (Of course, I'm thinking, "Okay...how old are we?")

This went on for a couple of months, until recently, while driving in the car, my husband and I somehow got on the conversation of my blog. My hubbie then asks, “So can I read your blog?” Of course, this is right after I posted the PMS anniversary story, which was the first time I had posted anything that had to do with him. So my response was, “Um...well...I guess, as long as you don’t take things too seriously. I mean...." and on and on I went, looking for a defense or a reason why maybe he shouldn’t read my blog. My husband said nothing more about it...until....

About a week or so ago, my good friend Happy Hour Somewhere came over to hang out with us for the evening. I’m sitting there sipping my glass of wine when I say to Happy Hour, right in front of my husband, “He hasn’t read my blog yet. Do you think he could handle reading it?” At that moment, my hubbie announces, “Oh, I read your blog already...just yesterday.”

GULP! GULP! GULP! goes down the wine.

The remark my husband and Happy Hour heard me say out loud was, “I thought you said you weren’t going to read it.” But the silent remark I made to myself was “OH SHIT!”

Before I could ask him what he thought, he looks me in the eye and says, “So, you think I’m a dork, huh?!”

Of course, Happy Hour starts laughing her ass off, and all I could do was backtrack.

“No, honey...I just said that "other" people might think you are a dork. I live with you though, and I’ve gotten used to that side of you. I’ve learned to love that part of you.”

(Hmmmm...looking back, I’m thinking that came out wrong.)

Well, to make a long story short, by the end of our half-joking, half-serious banter, everything turned out fine. When my hubbie and I went to bed that night, he snuggled up close to me, looked me in the eye and said, “I actually liked your blog, honey, and I think you are a very talented writer.”

Now, this doesn't mean I won't still drag him from the back of my menstrual cycle from time to time, or that he won't start a blog of his own called "I'm Married to the Bitch of Tampons & Chocolate." But I can honestly say that thanks to my wonderful husband, all my bloggy fears drifted away, and the two of us grew a giant leap closer.

Photobucket

10 comments:

Daffy said...

I can only hope my story turns out just as well. I've been blogging for a year but under a different blog that is 100% about our daughter and is a private blog. Hubs knows I follow other blogs and spend my free time commenting away. He just doesn't know I started Batcrap last month. I just didn't feel the need to tell him. Like he's really gonna care anyway, right??? And I HIGHLY doubt his response is gonna be, "You're such a talented writer"... lucky!

A Real Housewife said...

My husband thinks blogging is dumb........which means I can say whatever I want since he'll never read it. ;)

Happy Hour...Somewhere said...

Oh. my. I would love if he started a blog. You could be he said/she said. Take the bloggy universe by storm. Your hubbie can be hilarious and I bet he writes well~!

Just tell him when you rich and famous after selling your first book that he helped inspire you~!

Oh wait. He reads this. Shoot. He might deny me my trades in Fantasy Football. Arghhh. He better not mess with my line up...

ethelmaepotter! said...

This could almost be my story! My husband found out in a similar way, and DEMANDED to read my blog. I put him off for a few hours, going back and editing, then I just said, "Forget it! I am not going to let him censor me." And actually, it couldn't have turned out better. Even though he won't admit it, he's seen a side of himself he didn't like, and he's changed. He is no longer a dictatorial miser, although he certainly still qualifies as a penny-pincher. He even booked a surprise trip for me, to a place I'd written about (where we had previously gone on a short CHEAP trip) and pulled out al the stops to make sure it was memorable!
The only downside to all this is that he is so improved over the old Fred, that I have to find my comedic element elsewhere, and he is constantly trying to get me to write a book and make us a million dollars.

L said...

Awwweee...Ethel Mae's hubby scored big on that one! Hey, if anything, I think my blog will motivate my hubby to keep in line just to avoid being written about in a new post. But, for course, where's the fun in that?

SPEAKING FROM THE CRIB said...

awwwwwwwww that was sweet! my husband always reads my blog - can't keep him away from the damn thing - and says the other day YOU NEVER BLOG ABOUT ME and asked, DO YOU REALLY WANT ME TO? uh, no.

Theta Mom said...

My husband doesn't "get" the whole blogging thing. He thinks it's a big waste of time. I don't blame you for "forgetting" to tell him!

Frugal Vicki said...

Awww, how sweet of him to say that! My hubby has lately been giving me crap saying he has to "take care of the kids while I blog" Oh please, like I don't take care of all three of them and blog at the same time. Just because I am not sitting here staring at the same blinking box you are does not mean that I am not with you. Sheesh.

Anywho, you are a very talented writer, and it was awesome of him to notice.
Now I am off to find that hubby of the bitch blog so I can start fights and read about them the next day

Two Normal Moms said...

I'm glad that worked out. My husband knows about our blog, but I have no idea if he's read it. I think he doesn't want to know....lol.
***Ally

Janiece said...

my husband started to "check" my blog while I was in Argentina. He said that way he knew what I was doing.
HEHEHEEE
I think it is great your husband is reading your blog!