Monday, May 11, 2009

Taking A Moment

Between the sleepless nights, poopie diapers, screaming and crying (both kids and moms alike), and never-ending laundry, it’s easy to see why we sometimes wonder to ourselves, “What in the hell was I thinking?!” Motherhood can indeed feel like a thankless job a majority of the time, with nothing more than stretch marks, flabby bellies and saggy boobs as our badges of honor.

But then there are those moments—the ones when your fussy baby quiets in the security of your soothing arms, your two-year-old runs to you with joy after you’ve been gone for a few hours, and your little one hugs you tight and says, “I wuv you, Mommy.” Often times those moments last only for a few brief seconds, but no matter how long or how short, they are precious moments that can leave a lasting impression in our hearts and are often times the only thanks we need.

Two of my moments came this Mother’s Day. They came in the form of a poem from my son and a simple card with a handwritten note from my daughter. And this is what they said:

From my son (10 years old):

Mother

I am your boobers.
I wonder if you’re thinking about me when I am at not with you.
I see you kissing me goodnight.
I am your boobers.

I pretend that when you are gone, you are still beside me.
I feel very loved when you are there.
I touch your heart when I say, “I love you, Mom.”
I worry when I am not there you might get hurt.
I cry when I disappoint you or hurt your feelings.
I am your boobers.

I am your boobers.
I say I love you and I really mean it.
I dream that I will take care of you forever.
I try to make you happy when you are sad.
I hope you live forever and ever.
I am your boobers.

A card and note from my daughter (13 years old):

The card said:

I know I can always count on you, Mother
When I need advice, you listen and understand
and you’re always there for me when I need your encouragement.
The closeness we share is something I value every day of my life
And I love you for being my friend, as well as my mother

Her note said:

There is no other way I would have put that. It was the perfect card for how I care about you. You are my friend, teacher, hand to hold when life gets tough, but most of all, you’re my mom and I love you. I always will, no matter how much of a stupid teenager I turn into, I would like you to know that. I would have you no other way and you have taught me that love is strong and so is trust. Thank you for giving me both and more. I love you and there aren’t enough words for me to tell you that. Happy Mom’s day. You are truly the best mom anyone gets.

So for all you moms out there who might sometimes wonder if the hospital takes returns, keep on doing what you've been doing, and that's being the best mom you can be. Your moments will come--sometimes it’s just a matter of taking a moment to notice.

Happy Mother's Day!

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

Just read this post and it was awfully sweet. I think 10 year old boys are quite possibly the sweetest thing on earth. They love their moms! My youngest is 13 and he has started pulling away into young adulthood. I miss his special ways he showed he loves me, but I understand his need to be more "grownup." Treasure these times!

Also, my daughter is going on 17 and she still says that mushy stuff to me. She is a special girlie, that's for sure.

My middle kid is 15, calm, non-demonstrative for the most part, reliable, always gets good grades, and I'm thankful that he's sandwiched between the emotional and needy ones!

Kids are the best.